Lori Shimoda, Honolulu Hawaii USA
- Tank Size
- 244 x 76 x 64 cm (96 x 30 x 25 in)
- 1081L (286 gallons)
- painted black back
- 2 x 150W metal halide, approx. 5000K, and indirect sunlight
- Fluval 4 internal
- Additional Information
- The aquascape is modeled after an estuary where mangroves sprout and grow along the shoreline. Brackish water fish like the Archer fish and Monodactylus may be found in these areas.
The tank and lighting were designed to encourage flying insects to enter the tank, since the Archer fish enjoy hunting them. The tank is located in our patio and attracts many bugs, esp. during the summer when the termites swarm.
The mangroves were collected as seedlings along the shore of Kaneohe Bay on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, and were grown out under various conditions at our home.
- Rhizophora mangle (red mangrove)
- Toxotes jaculator, T. chatareus, Monodactylus sebae
- 550 lbs. #3 Monterey sand