John Wheeler, Newark DE USA | E-mail: jcwheel76 at yahoo.com
- Tank Size
- 51 x 25 x 30 cm (20 x 9.8 x 12 in)
- 38L (10 gallons)
- black plastic
- 2x15w NO flourescent GE Sunshine bulbs
- Fluval 1 internal filter
- Additional Information
- The maintenance of this tank is very simple. Weekly 30% water change, monthly filter cleaning, trim once every 3-4 months. There is a small amount of Flourite and boiled peat under the gravel.
The idea for this tank is simplicity. Moss and other epiphytic plants have special qualities that lend themselves perfectly to simple layouts. They are serene and quietly dynamic, and their persistence is inspirational. The Sagittaria gives a vertical relief and a splash of lighter green.
I am aware that the color scheme of this tank is rather mute. It was intentional. Deep greens are very soothing to the eyes and soul, and the simplicity of this aquascape plays on the inherent stress relieving qualities that an aquarium can have. The textures of this aquascape are infinite.
The lampeyes are a natural choice for this aquascape. They share some of the qualities of the plants, but add activity, a touch of color, and a different kind of interest to play off the backdrop of green.
- Anubias and Moss in Harmony
- Anubias barteri, Vesicularia sp., Sagittaria subulata var gracillis
- Aplocheilichthys normani, Caridinia japonica, pond snails
- #1 sand blasting grit, granite, root wood