Dimensions 60 × 30 × 18 cm
Title From Above & Below
Background 3mm white acrylic panel (900x600mm)
Lighting ONF Flat One Plus 90cm
Light Period: 9am - 5pm
Filtration Fluval 306
- Riccardia chamedryfolia (Mini Pellia)
- Vesicularia montagnei (Mini Xmas Moss)
- Eleocharis acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)
- Fissidens fontanus (Phoenix Moss)
- Plagiochilaceae sp. (Cameroon Moss)
- Microsorum pteropus. Micro / Mini
- Marsilea hirsuta
- Bucephalandra Brownie Mini Phantom
- Anubias nana petite (Thailand Variety)
- Anubias nana petite
- Anubias pangolino
- Anubias white
- Anubias nana. pinto
- Lysimachia nummularia
- Chamaedorea elegans (Parlour Palm)
- Acorus gramineus aurus
- Nephrolepsis Cotton Candy
- Selaginella Golden
- Selaginella martensii var.
- Mimosa pudica
- Ficus pumila (creeping fig)
- Soleirolia soleirolii (Babies tears)
- Bryum argenteum
- Hydrocotyle verticillata (Shield Pennywort)
- Bacopa monnieri (Waterhyssop)
Animals - Corydoras pygmaeus
- Otocinclus catfish
- Corydoras habrosus
- Crystal red shrimp
Materials Initial bed substrate built up with a thick layer of UNS Controsoil brown, capped with varying grades of gravel & sand.
5 x Hakkai stones were used to build the major hardscape. I used varying small sized smooth lava stones & river pebbles to support the larger Hakkai stones.
Additional Information INSPIRATION
A lot of my inspiration comes from where I grew up, in rural Australia. I would often spend my childhood in dams, creeks and rivers but I would also spend a lot of my childhood trying to escape my poor upbringing, watching movies whenever I got the opportunity. I remember watching Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away for the first time when I was 6, and it's stuck with me ever since. The grasslands and rocky streams that Chihiro walks through with her parents in the beginning and end of the movie heavily inspired the feeling I wanted to evoke with this tank.
During Spring and Summer I would tip my toes into the refreshingly cool creeks and streams. That initial 1 to 2 meters of space from the shore of the creek to the shallows of the water, is one of my favourite areas to explore and relax. These areas are typically teaming with life and biodiversity with many plants and organisms fighting for space and resources. When creating this aquascape I imagined it being a cropped out section of a creek bed as it transitions to land.
- CO2 injected from 8am to 4pm daily.
Seldom fertilised Masterline All in One Golden - wasn't very strict on fertilisation with this tank.
- unfortunately, the Mimosa Pudica was sleeping during the photoshoot, as I took it during the night. It would have been nice for it to be opened up, but alas, it was not meant to be. It has some flower blooms that were just opening, they would have been a nice pink addition.
PHOTO EDITING NOTES
- for the final edited photo I skewed the image to be parallel to all edges of the frame.
- I removed some parts of the background the clean it up and bring focus to the tank such as; removing light reflections from background to allow for more room above the scape and lengthening the right side to make it even with the left side of frame.
Please note, the aquascape itself has not be tampered with besides colour correction, only some background elements behind the tank which should be evident in the attached photos.